2017年4月27日 星期四

[Prepositions] Using by and with to express how something is done


By
by is used for means of transportation and communication
by (air)plane
by subway
by mail
by air
by boat
by taxi
by phone
by land
by bus
by train
by fax
by sea
by car
by foot
others
by chance
by mistake
by check
by choice
by hand
by credit card
With
with is used for instruments or parts of the body
with an ax
with a broom
with her finger
with my hand.

compare by hand and with my hand

by hand is usually used to mean that something was made by a person, not by a machine.
This rug was made by hand.

with my hand
I touched his shouder with my hand.

Pat turned off the tape recorder by pushing the stop button.
Andrea stirred her coffee with a spoon.
Page 385
I figured out what "quench" means by guessing.
Alex caught my attention by waving his arms in the air.
Page 386

搭配/陪伴

I swept the floor with a broom.
I sewed a button on my shirt with a needle and thread.
I cut the wood with a saw.
I took my temperature with a thermometer.
I stirred my coffee with a spoon.
I dug a hole in the ground with shovel.
I nailed two pieces of wood together with a hammer.
I cut the paper with a pair of scissors.
有傳輸都用 by
7. Some advertisers try to reach target audiences by mail.
9. I called Bill "Paul" by mistake.
10. The fastest way to send a copy of a piece of paper halfway around the world is by fax.
12. Some people pay their bills by computer.
13. Sally protected her eyes from the sun with her hand.
14. My grandmother makes tablecloths by hand.

沒有留言:

張貼留言